Empowering Kern County: Supporting Nonprofits for a Stronger Community
Kern Community Foundation Nonprofit Strengthening Initiative
Kern Community Foundation (KCF) strives to support the nonprofit community of Kern County not just for today but for generations to come. This support comes in the form of our Nonprofit Strengthening Initiative and includes competitive grants, donor-directed grantmaking, our Give Big Kern online day of giving, the Nonprofit Empowerment Center on our website, and a wide range of professional development and networking opportunities. Our goal is to foster a vibrant and collaborative nonprofit community by increasing local nonprofits’ visibility, capacity, sustainability, and resiliency.
Attracting Donor-Directed Funding from the Foundation
Because we are a community foundation, the majority of our grants are directed by our fundholders according to their interests. This donor-directed grantmaking continues to have a major impact on our community. The Foundation has grown to almost $30 million in total assets. However, more than 65% of those funds are endowed, meaning that we must protect the principal and can only grant out a small percentage annually.
Registering with the Foundation, maintaining a Silver or higher transparency rating on GuideStar.org, and engaging in our many services to nonprofits can give your agency added visibility and credibility with fundholders looking to invest in local charities.
Registration with the Foundation is the Gateway to Our Nonprofit Services
We encourage local nonprofits serving Kern County to register with Kern Community Foundation. Registration is free and opens the door to a wide range of services that include:
- Listing in our Community Giving Guide and its online companion, the Nonprofit Search engine on our website;
- Eligibility to apply for our Available Grants;
- Eligibility to participate in our online day of giving, Give Big Kern
- Inclusion in our extensive Nonprofit E-mail List
- Access to web-based resources available only to Foundation Registered Partners, including the ability to submit your agency’s events (fundraisers, resource fairs, etc.) for posting on our website’s Community Events Calendar, social media mentions, and access to grant searches through Candid’s Foundation Directory Online, flagship service of our Nonprofit Empowerment Center;
- Exclusive training and networking opportunities for nonprofit leaders;
- And more!
Proactively Creating Long-Term Stability through the Foundation
Community organizations can set aside funds through an Agency Fund with the Foundation to increase long-term stability, plan for future growth, or add to the organization’s credibility with key donors. When you partner with the Foundation, we work closely with your organization’s leadership to help establish a fund that supports your goals for today and in the future. As an additional benefit, the Foundation handles the administration of the fund, leaving your staff and board free to focus on what matters – your mission on behalf of the community.
Questions? Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 661.325.5346.