Applying for Competitive Grants
All grant applications listed can be found on our Online Grants Platform.
- Create an account.
- Register your organization.
- Select the grant you are applying for.
If you have any questions, please contact our Manager of Grants and Scholarships, Alyse Braaten, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 661.616.2605.
Upcoming Grant Deadlines
General Grant Guidelines
Kern Community Foundation believes that a healthy nonprofit sector is essential to the overall quality of life in our community. The following general guidelines are provided to help you determine whether your organization qualifies for a Foundation competitive grant.
The Foundation receives more worthy requests than we can accommodate each year. Most of the Foundationís individual grantmaking programs have specific eligibility requirements. Please review each opportunity carefully under Upcoming Grant Deadlines, above, and contact the Foundation if your organization is unsure about your eligibility.
Competitive grants are limited to organizations in Kern County. However, funding may be given to organizations with offices outside of Kern County for services or programs for residents of Kern County.
The Foundation currently does not consider multi-year requests.
We do not provide grants for:
- Propagandizing, influencing legislation and/or elections, promoting voter registration; for political candidates, political campaigns or organizations engaged in political activities; for litigation
- Institutions limiting their services to persons of a single religious sect or denomination
- Social or political problems outside of the United States of America
- Federated appeals or to organizations that collect funds for redistribution to other nonprofit groups
Most grants carry with them a requirement for reporting back to the Foundation regarding use of the funds. Reports of past grants must be on file before an organization can apply for additional Foundation funds. Applications received from organizations with delinquent reports will be considered non-responsive and will not be reviewed.
The Foundation accepts grant proposals at specific times during the year. We also award grants through donor advised and designated funds. Unsolicited applications or applications received after a granting programís cycle has closed will not be considered.
Grant applications are reviewed by committee, comprised of Kern Community Foundation Board Directors and members of the general community by invitation.