Through grantmaking, members of The Women’s and Girls’ Fund at Kern Community Foundation become philanthropists and advocates of positive social change. We rely on a commissioned study from Mount St. Mary’s University (Report on the Status of Women + Girls in Kern County) which analyzes data and the participation of community members to identify an area of focus every five years. The focus area selected for 2021-2025 is Education. It was selected from the five categories of concern: Education, Economic Wellbeing, Women and the STEM Professions, Family and Home, and Health and Safety.
We value social change grantmaking that focuses on long-term solutions to societal problems facing women and girls in all parts of Kern County. Additional information on the focus area and what we are looking for is available in our grantmaking policy. The Women’s and Girls’ Fund Grantmaking Policy (See link under “Eligibility” below).
Latest Brochure from The Women’s and Girls’ Fund (Coming Soon).
Read about our past grantees below.
Total grant dollars available in 2021: Approximately $60,000
Maximum grant request: $25,000
Selected nonprofits may submit full applications on the Foundation’s Online Grant Platform.
- November 10, 2020 – Announcement of Focus Area and LOIs open for Kern nonprofits
- November 24, 2020 (5 pm Pacific Time) – Letters of Intent due online
- December 14, 2020 – Invitations / Declinations to Apply are e-mailed
- January 7, 2021 (Noon – 1:30 pm) – Optional grant writing tutorial on this WGF opportunity will be offered online; applicants who have been invited to submit full proposals are encouraged to attend.
- January 22, 2021 (5 pm Pacific Time) – Full Proposal application packets due online
- February 3, 2021 (1 – 5 pm) – Applicant interviews with WGF Grants Allocation Committee
- February 12, 2021 – Grantees notified of their award (Provisional notice, pending Kern Community Foundation Board approval)
- March 31, 2021 (approximately) – Signed Grant Agreements due
- April 14, 2021 – Grants awarded at Annual Luncheon of The Women’s and Girls’ Fund
*Dates are subject to change at the discretion of The Women’s and Girls’ Fund or Kern Community Foundation.
Letter of Intent (LOI) Open date
November 10, 2020
November 24, 2020