A grantmaking initiative focused on building the capacity of Kernís nonprofit sector with grants that improve the operations and sustainability of local nonprofit health organizations and/or programs in Kern County. This initiative specifically targets projects that provide direct health services to low-income and underserved residents of rural Kern County.
KernHealth Now! was launched in the summer of 2011 with a series of bi-weekly orientations that taught local nonprofit organizations how to complete a profile on the Foundationís online Nonprofit Search. In November 2011, with support from The California Wellness Foundation and local donors, an inaugural portfolio of competitive grants totaling $70,000 was awarded to ten organizations from KernHealth Now! In November 2012, the competitive grants round was continued with support from The California Wellness Foundation and local donors, totaling $70,425 that was awarded to seven organizations.
KernHealth Now! Grant Recipients
- CSUB Foundation - $3,955: To support the Creating Healthy Smiles for Kern Kids program
- Salvation Army Golden State Division - $12,470: Continued suuport for the Direct Health Related Support Services program in the Eastern Kern/Mojave area
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Kern County - $10,000: Continued support for the Triple Play, Healthy Habits program at the Lamont Club
- Friends of Mercy Foundation - $15,000: Continued suport for the Empowerment Seminars which address chronic disease and diabetes self-management
- American Lung Association of California - $15,000: To support the Lamont Asthma Care Project
- Community Action Partnership of Kern - $7,000: To support an Agency Relations position that will build the rural capacity of the Food Bank
- Independent Living Center of Kern County - $7,000: Continued support for travel/outreach of the Transitions Program in rural communities throughout Kern County