A grantmaking initiative focused on building the capacity of Kernís nonprofit sector with grants that improve the operations and sustainability of local arts and culture organizations.
KernArts Now! was launched in the fall of 2010 with a series of bi-weekly orientations that taught local nonprofit organizations how to complete a profile on the Foundationís online Nonprofit Search. In April 2011, with support from The James Irvine Foundation and local donors, an inaugural portfolio of competitive grants totaling $75,000 was awarded to ten organizations from KernArts Now! An additional $40,000 in grants was distributed to a total of twenty-five arts and culture organizations through a KernArts Match Challenge. These organizations used their online profile and other 21st century philanthropy tools available through the Foundationís Nonprofit Search to generate contributions from more than 125 people in just a few days. In 2012 another round of competitive grants was held for local organizations, totaling in $46,433 to seven arts and culture organizations.
KernArts Now! Grant Recipients
- Bakersfield Museum of Art - $8,431: To install an interactive computer kiosk in each of four galleries.
- Bakersfield Music Theatre/Stars Theatre Restaurant - $10,487: To purchase lighting and sound equipment upgrades and replacements.
- Buena Vista Museum of Natural History - $8,000: To support a brochure redesign and printing.
- Imagine Ballet Company of Bakersfield - $3,616: To purchase a computer system and software.
- Maturango Museum - $10,899: To purchase additional Point of Sale hardware and software.
- Ridgecrest Chamber Music Society - $2,000: To augment publicity.
- Shafter Historical Society - $3,000: To renovate The Green Hotel Restrooms.